- The Small Armoury (Mała Zbrojownia) is a historical element characteristic of the architecture of Embankment Square.
- It was constructed in the years 1643-1645 by Jerzy Strakowski, the son of Jan Strakowski who was a city engineer.
- The ground floor of the Small Armoury was used as a storage place for heavy cannons and mortars.
- The first floor of the Small Armoury was used as a warehouse for artillery equipment.
- In an emergency situation, it was possible to roll the cannons outside through four big gates.
- The building was burnt down and bombed during the war.
- There is a cartouche with Gdańsk coat of arms on the Small Armoury wall.
- After the war, the building accommodated the Provincial Communication Company of Gdańsk-Gdynia and the armoury halls were converted into a depot.
- Since 1993 the Small Armoury has been housing the Faculty of Sculpture and Intermedia at the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk.
Memories and stories told by the inhabitants
- After the war, the ruins of the Small Armoury were occupied by children who used to run and play cards there.
- When the Small Armoury accommodated the Provincial Communication Company of Gdańsk-Gdynia, nobody cared for the historical character of the building. The floor was always dirty and smeared with grease.
⯆ The Small Armoury building.
⯆ A cartouche with Gdańsk coat of arms. The remains of red paint indicate the former colouring of the walls.
⯆ At present, the building houses the Faculty of Sculpture and Intermedia at the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk.
⯆ A post-war photograph of the Small Armoury.