- The building was used as the friary of the Franciscan Order, as a Latin school referred to as the schola particularis, as an academic gymnasium and as a library for the City Council and hospital.
- In 1872 a Municipal Museum was established there and in 1945 the Pomeranian Museum was opened.
- It is one of the oldest museums in Poland. The most valuable exhibit is The Last Judgement by Hans Memling.
Memories and stories told by the inhabitants
After the war, the inhabitants of Embankment Square and Pod Zrębem St had to go quite a long way to get water from a pump located in the square in front of the museum.